Today, OCN-SIM FLEX received a major update. I merged in almost 3 months of work from my private development repo and considered the changes meaningful enough to take the leap from v0.1.3 to v0.2.
Major changes include:
- Ability to import raw data in addition to generating data based on rope system files
- New loadcase to illustrate raw data import capability:
- New example loadcase
- Lots of changes in internal data structures making life easier for programmers (hopefully!)
- Implemented merge node feature for RRF solvers (hardcoded boolean paramter).
Nodes in secondary constraints can now be merged to one node leading to a numerically
equal treatment of both primary and secondary constraints.
- Introducing component-wise PID force elements. These can serve e.g. as a substitute for
the formerly used spring elements to couple rigid bodies to the rest of the system. Can be
used as spring/damper combinations as well by setting integral constant to zero.
I love Fridays.
OCN-SIM FLEX now has it's own wiki. Go check it out on
I recently added a new primer on OCN-SIM FLEX posprocessing
Also, check the updated full documentation on
OCN-SIM Flex v0.1.3 is ready for download. There's lot's of new features to explore, so go grab yours now on
- Introducing partially submerged, slender cylindrical buoys
- Introducing linear airy wave theory
- Output water surface elevation at selected points
- Lots of miscellaneous smaller changes, compare commit log
- More example loadcases
I've just released OCN-SIM Flex v0.1.2. There's lot's of new features to explore, so go grab yours now on
- Calculation of internal forces
- New configuration file format — .ini conforming sections. If your editor supports it: Go for code folding!
- Basic support for hydrofoils (unfortunately I did not yet include any exemplary coeffcient files)
After having had quite a busy time writing my Ph.D. thesis, I finally managed to incorporate some new changes into OCN-SIM Flex that are meaningful enough to tag this with a new version. This mainly includes the following changes:
- Introduced substitution variables as a comfortable way to define values occurring several times in an input file
- Mainly changes under the hood to make life a little easier for developers
Moreover, there's lots of algorithms and features that are still unpublished, but which will find their way into this repo, once they are properly evaluated and reviewed. Amongst others, this is going to include the evaluation of internal reaction forces as to be seen in the demo picture. So just drop by from time to time and see what's new.
Greetings from the scriptorium,
after countless hours of work, I am glad to announce the first release of a developer preview of the simulation toolkit OCN-SIM FLEX — a tool for the approximate dynamic simulation of fully submerged flexible maritime structures (e.g. moorings, buoys, towed vehicles, nets and fishing gear). The associated user manual is released as part of OCN-ED and contains the documentation of the actual software as well as a theory reference concerning ideally flexible maritime structures.
Download the tool and the documentation source from GitLab:
You can also download the manual in pdf format directly.
This website is still under construction. Thank you very much for your patience.